The Visitor Experience Associate serves as the external face of the Museum of Us and is an integral member of the team. The core of the Visitor Experience Associate role is providing guests with a positive and memorable experience. This position requires experience working with diverse groups of visitors, being a flexible team player to accommodate changing needs, and the capability to handle a fast-paced environment while providing a quality visitor experience. Duties include actively welcoming visitors to our space, selling museum admission and memberships, and providing information about museum exhibits and programs. This position is full-time, non-exempt, with a Wednesday through Sunday schedule, including holidays. The schedule may occasionally include evenings for programs and events.
Reporting to the Visitor Experience Coordinator, the Visitor Experience Associate is expected to work collaboratively with individuals throughout the Museum of Us and perform the following:
- Actively greet visitors and welcome them to the Museum of Us in a friendly and warm manner; employ customer service best practices with visitors, staff, and vendors.
- Promote museum programs, events, and exhibits. Provide information to visitors about Museum of Us and Balboa Park.
- Complete visitor sales transactions with a high level of accuracy. This includes processing cash, check and credit card transactions, receipt printing and scanning Go Pass and Explorer Pass.
- Conduct tours of the California Tower.
- Maintain a clean and professional shared workspace at the admissions desk, Evernham desk, and Saint Frances Chapel desk.
- Immediately report facilities, exhibits, or software issues to ensure timely resolution and contribute to a high-quality experience for visitors.
- Perform regular walk-throughs of the exhibits to ensure consumable materials are stocked, exhibit surfaces are clean and tidy, and assist guests in the galleries.
- Assist with retail inventory, upkeep of displays, and other sales-related functions.
- Assist with the daily cleaning of exhibits, with special attention paid to interactives, knobs, handrails, and other frequently touched surfaces.
- Assist guests with any accessibility assistance requests and accommodate wherever possible, including providing wheelchairs and operating the wheelchair lift.
- Confirm that end of the day transaction reports are accurate and complete, including a daily reporting of admissions data.
- Collaborate with other museum departments to support the visitor experience, including occasionally working at after-hours events.
- Participate in all required museum training programs, work towards the museum mission, and uphold the museum values.
- Partner with multiple Museum departments to perform other duties as needed.
Experience & Education
- Experience working in museums and/or cultural centers.
- Experience working in hospitality, sales, or customer service.
- Experience with cash handling.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, customer service, and public engagement skills; enjoys working with people.
- Ability to remain calm in escalated interactions; experience deescalating and resolving customer service issues.
- Willingness to be CPR/AED and First Aid certified.
- Availability to work weekends and holidays.
- Speaking a second language is highly desirable.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Indoor/outdoor working environment including sitting, walking, climbing stairs, balancing, crouching, stooping, and communication (talking/hearing).
- Ability to move between all areas of the museum, some of which are widely spaced on uneven terrain and require climbing stairs.
- Ability to lift and carry large/bulky items weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Vision requirements include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Noise conditions range from quiet to moderate noise.
- Salary is $21 per hour.
- The Museum offers an exceptional employee benefits package, including medical, dental and vision and life insurance coverage, as well as short and long term disability benefits.
- The Museum also offers a matching retirement contribution plan, up to 6% of an employee’s annual salary.
How to Apply
Visitor Experience Associate position applications should include a resume and cover letter and emailed to email@example.com. Application deadline is end of day August 10th.