Saint Francis Chapel
A Beautiful Balboa Park Wedding Venue
The Museum of Us welcomes everyone to celebrate important life events in our beautiful venues, especially in the historic and unique Saint Francis Chapel. This dignified sanctuary is an unconsecrated, non-denominational chapel which hosts weddings, anniversaries, quinceñeras, baptisms, and memorials.
The Saint Francis Chapel is located in scenic Balboa Park on the south side of the California Plaza, across the street from the main entrance to the Museum of Us. Designed by Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue as an example of a Spanish Colonial church, the Chapel was built to add a religious note to the Panama-California Exposition of 1915.
The interior decoration was chosen by Goodhue and Carlton M. Winslow and features stark mission simplicity with its tile floor, ceiling with heavy beams, and bench seating. By contrast, the Chapel also boasts an elaborately decorated altar which includes gold leaf and meticulously crafted figures of the Virgin and Child in the center, flanked on the left by Saint Francis Xavier and on the right by San Diego de Alcalá.
Details of the facility and services offered for wedding parties include:
- Private event dressing suite
- Organ (party must provide organist)
- Altar candles
- Five reserved parking spaces for the event
- The party shall have access to the Chapel from one and one-half hours before the scheduled start of the wedding until one and one-half hours after the scheduled start.
- The Chapel seats 88 people on the main floor with an additional 12 seats in the balcony, although capacity will be limited based on current State Tier guidelines.
- There is wheelchair access to the balcony only. (A wheelchair will take the space of two seats.)
- A one-hour rehearsal may be scheduled for a weekday without charge from noon to 3:30 p.m. Other arrangements may be made at an additional cost.
The wedding party must make its own arrangements for flowers, minister, photographer, music, etc. The Museum may be able to assist upon request.
For additional information, or to make arrangements to view or reserve the Chapel, please call (619) 239-2001 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vendor Credit, Photos 3-5 and 8-14: Design & Calligraphy: Samantha Louise Designs / Florals: The Dainty Lion / Rentals: Pow Wow Design Studio / Hair & Makeup: Stacey Triplow / Suits: Friar Tux / Ties: Lord Wallington / Cake: Frost Me Gourmet / Catering: Root Cellar Co.